By David N. Bell
This quantity includes translations or summaries of crucial panegyrics in compliment of Saint Bernard that have been preached in the course of the reign of Louis XIV. the various preachers have been and are considered as the best orators ever to grace the French pulpit. the entire translations are largely annotated, and there are 3 introductory chapters delivering an important history for appreciating the sermons. 16 preachers are represented, and, with one exception, not one of the fabric has ever seemed in English. For these attracted to the afterlife of Saint Bernard, as he was once used, and occasionally abused, within the reign of the sunlight King, this assortment presents crucial fundamental sources.
Read or Download A Saint in the Sun: Praising Saint Bernard in the France of Louis XIV (Cistercian Studies) PDF
Best church history books
"Conceptually good geared up, stylistically transparent, intellectually considerate, and pedagogically important. " - Thomas Head, Speculum"For its humane and discovered method of its huge, immense canvas, in addition to for the cogency with which it penetrates at pace to the necessities of a vanished historic epoch, this background of the Church within the heart a long time merits a truly extensive viewers certainly.
The intoxicating “champagne air” of Flat Rock, North Carolina, captivated citizens of lowcountry South Carolina within the 19th century since it provided them respite from the sickly, semitropical coastal weather. In Flat Rock of the previous Time, editor Robert B. Cuthbert has mined the collections of the South Carolina historic Society to put up a documentary heritage of where and its humans.
Miguel seasoned: Martyrdom and Politics in Twentieth-Century Mexico examines the complicated courting of recent martyrdom as preserved by means of reminiscence and real fact, and as retold via tales meant to impel political and spiritual goals. Martyr narratives depend upon institutional association to stay within the public reminiscence, and are altered for you to hold their skill to mobilize fans inside altering social and political contexts.
Controversy erupted in spring 2001 whilst Chicago’s typically white Southside Catholic convention early life activities league rejected the appliance of the predominantly black St. Sabina grade tuition. Fifty years after Brown v. Board of schooling, interracialism appeared stubbornly not possible, and the nationwide highlight once more grew to become to the historical past of racial clash in Catholic parishes.
- Paul, Founder of Churches: A Study in Light of the Evidence for the Role of 'Founder-Figures' in the Hellenistic-Roman Period (Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament)
- Anglican Enlightenment: Orientalism, Religion and Politics in England and its Empire, 1648–1715 (Cambridge Studies in Early Modern British History)
- Old Rectory: The Story of the English Parsonage
- Augustin und die Dialektik: Eine Untersuchung der Argumentationsstruktur in den Cassiciacum-Dialogen (Studien und Texte zu Antike und Christentum /Studies ... Antiquity and Christianity) (German Edition)
- Early Christian Communities Between Ideal and Reality (Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament)
Additional info for A Saint in the Sun: Praising Saint Bernard in the France of Louis XIV (Cistercian Studies)
A Saint in the Sun: Praising Saint Bernard in the France of Louis XIV (Cistercian Studies) by David N. Bell